I created a template from a sheet and now I cannot find the original sheet...help!

Options

I created a template from the Schedule Call Tracking -November Election and I cannot find the original smartsheet in my list of available sheets. What happened to it, and can I retrieve it? I created a template from another sheet before and I was still able to retain the original sheet. How was I able to retain the original sheet from that template and not from this one ?

Please advise.

Tags:

Answers

• Linda Manduchova
    Linda Manduchova ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @nimmonsm -

The template is by default saved in the same folder or workspace where the originating sheet is stored unless you manually changed the target's location. Normally, the source sheet you used to create your template from should stay where it is located.

I would recommend trying to locate it by typing the sheet's name into the search bar located in the top right corner of the page. You can refine your search results by selecting More Results where you can refine a file type, last modified date, location, or sort. Additionally, I would doublecheck the Deleted Items folder.

If you don't remember the exact name of the file, you could append an asterisk to the end of the term (e.g., Test*) for broader results. To find results containing included words, type OR between multiple search terms.

Not certain if you were the owner of the source sheet but if not, I would contact the owner and ask them to help locate the sheet in case something happened to the permissions.

Hope this helps with your search!

Linda

• nimmonsm
    Options

Thank you for that response. I am the owner of the sheet, and cannot seem to locate the original anywhere in my available smartsheets. I've done a search, and the only thing that continue to come up is the smartsheet template that I created from the original smartsheet. It is quite puzzling.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The original sheet is replaced with the template. The sheet itself no longer exists. To make changes, you would create a sheet from the template, make the changes and then save as a new template.

• nimmonsm
    Options

But, why has this sheet been replaced with the template, when I created a template from another sheet but was able to retain the original sheet? And, is there a way to retrieve the original sheet somehow?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @nimmonsm

Is it possible that you may have accidentally deleted the original sheet? If so, it would appear in your deleted folder for up to 30 days. These sheets won't appear when you search.

• nimmonsm
    Options

I have checked my deleted folder, and there are no sheets listed there.