Conversion

RG3
RG3
edited 02/19/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hello,

I have a drop down list in one column, and based on what is selected in that column. I would like my data to convert based on information in another.

I have tried Vlook up and If statement but have been unsuccessful.

For Example, if someone selects 5347550 on the form, I want the column on the sheet to convert to

If understand, I will need a data sheet but other than that have not been successful

Answers

• MariaCurtis
    MariaCurtis ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi! Can you share a few more details?

1. How many options are in the drop-down column people are selecting from? That might help determine whether an if statement or vlookup makes more sense.
    2. Can you share what formulas you have tried, and what's happening when you use them?
    3. Are you using a "helper" sheet? (for the vlookup attempts)
  • Hi,

Thank you for your attention to this matter

I have about 8 groups like this, on my form, allow them to use the short version (right) however, do complete my upload, I need it to convert to the complete version (left).

I have tried Vlook up and I am getting #nomatch and when i completed an attempt at in if statement it told me #unparseable

Can you provide my more guidance on the helper sheet

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You would need to set up a second sheet with a list like the one you have in the screenshot where the selections are in one column and the desired lookups are in another column. Then you would use something like this:

=INDEX({Reference Sheet Output Column}, MATCH([Dropdown Column Name]@row, {Reference Sheet Selection Column}, 0))

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!