Update Row from Info of Another Sheet

gmbordon
gmbordon ✭✭
edited 02/19/24 in Formulas and Functions

I have a Tracker which my team updates if they have done it. The row is unique to specific individual name or employee ID. When a teammate updates this row by checking the checkbox, I want another sheet to mark it with check too, that matches the criteria of the name/employee ID.

Please help. Thank you!

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provides some screenshots for context? Sample data is fine.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• My tracker has this sheet. If he puts a check on Adobe Std for EMPLID 12345, I want my other sheet that has Adobe Std column to be marked check with the same EMPLID.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/19/24

Try this:

=INDEX({Reference Sheet Check Column}, MATCH([Employee ID]@row, {Reference Sheet Employee ID Column}, 0))

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• gmbordon
    gmbordon ✭✭
    edited 02/19/24

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your reply. I am new to Smartsheet, so I have few more questions.

=INDEX({Reference Sheet Check Column}, MATCH([Employee ID]@row, {Reference Sheet Employee ID Column}, 0))

The Reference Sheet in INDEX function is the name/title of the sheet where I want it to automatically update?

By the way, both sheets have EMPLID to make sure it is only updating the row that is specific to the EMPLID.

• Hello Paul,

What I came up but error:

=INDEX ({Column-to-update}, MATCH ([EMPLID]@row, {Source-Column}, 0))

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What error are you getting and what exactly does each of your {Cross Sheet References} reference?

10xViz.com

• I think I was able to do it through this:

=INDEX({Ref Sheet Check Column}, MATCH(EMPLID@row, {Ref Sheet EMPLID}, 0)) which is basically what you first suggested.

My next question is, how often do these cells get updated? Is it real time? When I uncheck the Ref Sheet, it doesn't update the cell I wanted updating, even when I refresh the sheet.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You have to save the source sheet first. It should be immediate after that but could be delayed by a minute or two depending on your connection speeds, sheet complexity, whether or not the formula sheet is open, and a number of other variables.

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!