SUMIFS forumula

Options
MarianneS
MarianneS
edited 02/22/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hi, I am trying to write a formula which counts from another sheet but keep getting incorrect argument.

=SUMIFS({Project Type}, "Event Coverage", {Project Status}, "Complete", {Month Identifier}, "January", {Year Identifier}, "2024")

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @MarianneS

Are you wanting to Count or are you wanting to Sum?

If only want to count the number of occurrences, use a COUNTIFS formula.

COUNTIFS({Project Type}, "Event Coverage", {Project Status}, "Complete", {Month Identifier}, "January", {Year Identifier}, 2024)

Note that numbers are not enclosed by quotes, textstrings are enclosed in quotes.

If you want the sum, the field that is being summed must be numeric data. The syntax of the SUMIFS formula is

=SUMIFS({range to be summed}, {range of criteria #1}, {criteria #1}, {Range of criteria #2}, {criteria #2},etc)

The posted formula is missing the 'Range to be summed'.

Does this work for you?

Kelly

• MarianneS
    MarianneS
    edited 02/22/24
    Options

Hi @Kelly Moore ,

I am wanting to count the number of times the word "Event Coverage" appears in our booking form under Project Type that is completed in "January" in "2024"does that make sense? I've changed the formula to countifs but now getting invalid Ref.

=COUNTIFS({Project Type}, "Event Coverage", {Project Status}, "Complete", {Month Identifier}, "January", {Year Identifier}, "2024")

sorry for my ignorance, but is the Project Type not the range to be summed?

• heyjay
    heyjay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Invalid Reference means that your references (items in curly brackets) are not properly referenced. Are they in another sheet? If yes, please double check them, if they are in the same sheet, use [Colum Name]:[Column Name] format when referencing.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!