Help with formula syntax errors when converting to column formula

Options

Help, please.

I'm struggling to debug this formula in Smartsheets.  

The formula actually works, and can be copy/ pasted with success. However, I'm getting this error message "The column formula syntax isn't quite right" when trying to convert the cell to column formula.  Please help. I can't figure this out on my own. Thanks in advance for the attention and support.

Here is my formula:

=IF(AND([BRM Approved]1 = "No, denied.", [HCL Approved]1 = "No"), "No TAS Needed", IF(NOT(ISBLANK([HCL Request No (i.e. HCA00000)]@row)), "TAS Acquired", IF(ISBLANK([HCL Request No (i.e. HCA00000)]1), "TAS Needed")))

Best Answer

• DKazatsky2
    DKazatsky2 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Davey G,

The reason you are having this issue is because you have a reference to a specific row - "[BRM Approved]1".

As you noted, you can copy/paste this, or even drag the formula down, but you cannot convert to a column formula with that syntax. However, is you drag the formula down from the top, you will most likely find that new rows will also start with the formula without needed a copy/paste.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Answers

• DKazatsky2
    DKazatsky2 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Davey G,

The reason you are having this issue is because you have a reference to a specific row - "[BRM Approved]1".

As you noted, you can copy/paste this, or even drag the formula down, but you cannot convert to a column formula with that syntax. However, is you drag the formula down from the top, you will most likely find that new rows will also start with the formula without needed a copy/paste.

Hope this helps,

Dave

• Davey G
    Options

Thank you so much. That corrected my issue.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!