How can I use smartsheet in order to keep track of clock ins and clock outs?

I have a staff of about 150-160 on any given day and currently they punch on the clock and then write their time down on a sheet next to the clock. Is there a way I can use smartsheet to do this? Keep in mind one person should have a total of four punches for the day being 'in,out,in and out again'

I'd like to record this to be sure in order to approve time cards without having to fumble around with so much paper.

Thanks

Answers

• AravindGP
    AravindGP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @dmunoz

As long as you're ok for them to manually enter the time, you can have a simple sheet with the name of the employee and their email (being entered by them) along with a form to capture for the first in time. You can then create update request workflows to auto send the same row of data to them for adding the 1st out time, followed by the 2nd in time, and final out time. Every time entry will be manual.

Thanks,

Aravind GP| Principal Consultant

Atturra Data & Integration

M: +61493337445

E:Aravind.GP@atturra.com

W: www.atturra.com

• dmunoz
    dmunoz
    edited 03/12/24

Hello @AravindGP,

If I understand correctly, they would then have to use their device to access their email and fill in the rest of their times?

In a perfect world...my staff would come in fill out the form for clock in on an ipad and then when coming back in would fill out another form for clock out and so forth...I'd have to have them use a company device or devices.

I would just like to use the same form and have it feed into the same row for the employee that it is using it.

I hope I make sense

• AravindGP
    AravindGP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/12/24

That is correct. There's an email with a simple form that they can use to fill in the time.

Thanks,

Aravind GP| Principal Consultant

Atturra Data & Integration

M: +61493337445

E:Aravind.GP@atturra.com

W: www.atturra.com

• In a perfect world...my staff would come in fill out the form for clock in on an ipad and then when coming back in would fill out another form for clock out and so forth...I'd have to have them use a company device or devices.

I would just like to use the same form and have it feed into the same row for the employee that it is using it.

I hope I make sense

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @dmunoz

I hope you're well and safe!

I recently developed something similar for one of my clients. We use one form with a selector to indicate that they are checking in/out of a manufacturing process step with a QR code per step. It could be adapted to work for your needs, but it's quite advanced.

Feel free to reach out at andree@workbold.com if you'd like help with developing a solution.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!