How to um a column with different values

I am trying to sum the product category column that has 4 different values...the goal would the sheet look like

Access Solutions 2023 - ?# 2024 - #

Retail

Shop Solutions

I have been struggling to write a formula on this...please help

Best Answer

• jprovo227
    jprovo227 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

HI @EdBo ,

I'm not sure where you want the values to appear based on your screenshot, but you can use the COUNTIF function to count the number of occurrences based on the range. Depending on where you want to use the formula, you would create one for each option in the drop down:

=COUNTIF([Product Category]:[Product Category], "Retail Solutions (Carts)")

=COUNTIF([Product Category]:[Product Category], "Shop Solutions").. etc

Otherwise, depending on how you want to use the information (perhaps in a dashboard or a report), you could count the number of instances using filters on a report or a metric widget on a dashboard - and there might be no need for a formula on your sheet.

What is your desired outcome? If you could tell us why you want to sum the number of instances for this category and how you want that information to be used, the Community can probably provide you a better solution.

Thanks,

Justin

Answers

• jprovo227
    jprovo227 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

HI @EdBo ,

I'm not sure where you want the values to appear based on your screenshot, but you can use the COUNTIF function to count the number of occurrences based on the range. Depending on where you want to use the formula, you would create one for each option in the drop down:

=COUNTIF([Product Category]:[Product Category], "Retail Solutions (Carts)")

=COUNTIF([Product Category]:[Product Category], "Shop Solutions").. etc

Otherwise, depending on how you want to use the information (perhaps in a dashboard or a report), you could count the number of instances using filters on a report or a metric widget on a dashboard - and there might be no need for a formula on your sheet.

What is your desired outcome? If you could tell us why you want to sum the number of instances for this category and how you want that information to be used, the Community can probably provide you a better solution.

Thanks,

Justin

• That worked Perfectly

Thank you

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!