Is there a way to pre-fill a name in a contact column from another sheet?

The scenario is a sheet was created with project contact info (Name and Email), and a user wants to be able to start typing a name in the "assigned to" cell in a different sheet (RAID log) and it will pre-fill with the name from this other contact info sheet - isn this possible?

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

With native smartsheet and no add ons/APIs, you would need to add each contact to the contact list (column properties) in the sheet that contains the "assigned to" cell. Then, when the user types into the cell, the names will be offered for selection. You cannot dynamically reference the names/emails in the original sheet, unfortunately.

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

With native smartsheet and no add ons/APIs, you would need to add each contact to the contact list (column properties) in the sheet that contains the "assigned to" cell. Then, when the user types into the cell, the names will be offered for selection. You cannot dynamically reference the names/emails in the original sheet, unfortunately.

• Shonda
    Shonda ✭✭✭✭

@KPH thank you for responding

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No problem @Shonda . I am pretty sure there is a feature request for this somewhere. If I find it later I will share the link so you can vote (if you find it let me know and I will vote). Populating drop down lists from sheets would be great. Populating contact lists would be even better.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!