Countifs with multiple criteria

Hello, Hoping someone can review!

I am trying to write a countifs formula with multiple criteria.

I need two columns with a straight forward criteria count (Specific Sprint - Sprint 19 SD and Components - Compliance)

Then I also need to add the column titled Type with both "Story" and "Task" criteria count BUT only if the Task criteria has Points, which is in another column called "Points"

I have not even added the "only if the Task has points" part as the current formula has given me a zero count after adding the "Task" part.

=COUNTIFS({Specific Sprint}, "Sprint 19 SD", {Components}, "Compliance", {Type}, "Story", {Type}, "Task")

Answers

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/02/24

Hi @JMcGill , If the Type column is a multiselect, you will need to use HAS() instead of the way you are doing it. Right now it is trying to find Type = "Story" and Type = "Task" (alone). If Type has both Story and Task, neither criteria is true. So you could write it as:

=COUNTIFS({Specific Sprint}, "Sprint 19 SD", {Components}, "Compliance", {Type}, AND(HAS(@cell,"Story"),HAS(@Cell, "Task")))

You can also write it as you did, but you need to use HAS().

Good luck and be well!

If my response was helpful or answered your question please be sure to upvote it, mark it asawesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

• JMcGill
    JMcGill ✭✭

Thank you @Scott Orsey. I typed in the below and received a #unparseable error.

=COUNTIFS({Specific Sprint}, "Sprint 19 SD", {Components}, "Compliance", {Type}, AND(HAS(@cell,"Story"), HAS(@Cell, "Task")))

The Type column has both Story and Tasks that I need to count. Hmmmm

But once I get this to work, I need to add in that I only want Tasks to count IF they have a nonblank in another column named Points.

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @JMcGill , I've stared at your formula and don't see a problem with it. Are you certain that the three cross sheet references have been defined properly ({Specific Sprint}, {Components} and {Type})? Seems like "yes" because you had it working before, but thought I'd check.

Also, I misunderstood your original question. If you want to count if it has Story OR Task, you'll need to swap the AND() for OR(). You could also write it as:

=COUNTIFS({Specific Sprint}, "Sprint 19 SD", {Components}, "Compliance", {Type}, HAS(@cell,"Story")) + COUNTIFS({Specific Sprint}, "Sprint 19 SD", {Components}, "Compliance", {Type}, HAS(@cell, "Task"))

If it's not the cross-sheet references, I'm not sure what else to check, so maybe just try my second formula.

If my response was helpful or answered your question please be sure to upvote it, mark it asawesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

• JMcGill
    JMcGill ✭✭

Hi @Scott Orsey,

Thank you! The second formula yielded a number and not an error! Yay.

Ok, thank you. So I need to count both "Story" AND "Task" but only if the "Task" has a number in the next column. so I would only want to count 1 task here because it's the only with with Points in that column.

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey ✭✭✭✭✭

@JMcGill , so you'll want to modify the COUNTIFS in the second half of that formula. I'm on a phone right now... so how about you give it a try (hint... use <>"" to see if not blank) and see what you get. I can help debug. Good luck

• JMcGill
    JMcGill ✭✭

@Scott Orsey, Thank you so much for sticking with me and giving me direction. This one worked!

=COUNTIFS({Specific Sprint}, "Sprint 19 SD", {Components}, "Compliance", {Type}, HAS(@cell, "Story")) + COUNTIFS({Specific Sprint}, "Sprint 19 SD", {Components}, "Compliance", {Type}, HAS(@cell, "Task"), {Points}, <>"")

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey ✭✭✭✭✭

@JMcGill , Looks perfect. Glad to see you've got it working! Be well

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!