Return the last value

Hi there

I need a formula that finds the value of the 'join' column and returns the value of the 'total' column but return the last value according to the date.

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Diego ELvira

Sorry I misunderstood. So you want the max date per the the JOIN. To do this, you will need a helper column to first find the various Max dates. You will use this to then find Total per Join.

IsMax checkbox Helper column

=IF(Date@row = MAX(COLLECT(Date:Date, Date:Date, ISDATE(@cell), JOIN:JOIN, <>"", JOIN:JOIN, JOIN@row))), 1)

The formula you requested then becomes

=INDEX(COLLECT(TOTAL:TOTAL, JOIN:JOIN, JOIN@row, IsMax:IsMax, 1), 1)

Will this work for you?

Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Diego ELvira

If I understand, you're looking for a formula that returns the TOTAL of the last date. This is the syntax if your formula is on the same sheet

=INDEX(TOTAL:TOTAL,MATCH(MAX(DATE:DATE), DATE:DATE, 0))

Will this work for you?

Kelly

• Diego ELvira
    edited 04/09/24

@Kelly Moore What happens is that: I have a database with different IDs, so the 'join' column can contain, for example 20455-20-6-2, etc. What I need is to look for the cell of the 'join' column and return the last data according to the last date.

I had tried combining vlookup with other formulas but I haven't solved it.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Diego ELvira

Sorry I misunderstood. So you want the max date per the the JOIN. To do this, you will need a helper column to first find the various Max dates. You will use this to then find Total per Join.

IsMax checkbox Helper column

=IF(Date@row = MAX(COLLECT(Date:Date, Date:Date, ISDATE(@cell), JOIN:JOIN, <>"", JOIN:JOIN, JOIN@row))), 1)

The formula you requested then becomes

=INDEX(COLLECT(TOTAL:TOTAL, JOIN:JOIN, JOIN@row, IsMax:IsMax, 1), 1)

Will this work for you?

Kelly

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!