Using form Submit button to autofill a smartsheet column

Options

Hi,

Is it possible to link the "submit" and "submit update" buttons on smartsheet forms to autofill a status column on the smartsheet behind it?

We have a request form that we have a workflow working for in terms of requesting initial approval. The Approve and Reject buttons for that autofill the Status field with Approved or Rejected but the Submit button on the new form doesn't change the status to New. Also we have as part of the reject portion of the workflow to request an update but again the Submit Update button doesn't change the status to Resubmitted which we want it to do so that the workflow retriggers to request approval again.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks, Camilla

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Camilla Simmons

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå,

Thanks for offer to help. Our initial workflow is this:

The advance options for the request approval buttons are these:

What we ideally want is that when the submitter completes the request update form and submits it that there is an option for "When update submitted save status as" field.

We have tried adding an action after the update request to change status to order resubmitted but that does it before the person has had a chance to actually update the request info, therefore our second request workflow (below) kicks in too early.

How can we set this up so that the status is changed to order resubmitted AFTER the update request has been completed and submitted?

Thanks

Camilla

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @Camilla Simmons,

Unfortunately the approval block only offers "Approved" and "Rejected" as options. In order to provide options beyond that, you'll have to use a "Request Update" block instead, then have the approver update the "Approval" column using that.

Then to make sure things don't change until the approver completes the update request, you'll have to create a separate workflow that looks for the update request info column to be modified, then it sends out the request update to the approver.

Hope that makes sense!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Camilla Simmons

Happy to help!

Could you add multiple status options to the status columns?

Similar to this.

• Waiting 1
    • Approved 1
    • Declined 1
    • Waiting 2
    • Approved 2
    • Declined 2
    • Make sense?
    • Would that work/help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.