QR Codes/Bar Codes

Options

Dear Smartsheet Community.

Is there a means within Smartsheet to allocate a unique QR/Bar Code to a specific line in a grid, such that if you subsequently scan the code (outside of Smartsheet), the specific line/data record can be accessed?

For now, I am thinking of an image of the relevant code added in a cell as an "image", with a search to find that actual image.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Will

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Will

A barcode or QR code is essentially a string of numbers displayed in a font that appears as a series of blocks of black and white. You can't search and match on an image but you can certainly match on the text that is formatted as a barcode.

You can see how this works by typing a string of numbers into a word document and then downloading a barcode font. Format the string of numbers using that font and you get a bar code.

In short, what you need in your cell is the string of text that you convert into the barcode / QR code. When you scan a bar code/QR code, what you will get is a string of text. You can therefore search using that.

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Will

A barcode or QR code is essentially a string of numbers displayed in a font that appears as a series of blocks of black and white. You can't search and match on an image but you can certainly match on the text that is formatted as a barcode.

You can see how this works by typing a string of numbers into a word document and then downloading a barcode font. Format the string of numbers using that font and you get a bar code.

In short, what you need in your cell is the string of text that you convert into the barcode / QR code. When you scan a bar code/QR code, what you will get is a string of text. You can therefore search using that.

• William Oldfield
    Options

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

I half anticipated the process would be a bit "clunky" (unlike linking to a web address) but at least I now know how to create it and use it in this context.

Many thanks.

Will

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just think of the bar code/QR code as a text string and not an image, and you'll be fine. If you want to link to a row via a QR code it can be done in exactly the same way as to a web address. Just convert the URL for the row into a QR code.