Creating Dynamic View with Single Value Display in a Multi-Value Column

Options

I have a column that can hold multiple values, but I'm looking to create a dynamic view where only a single value is displayed. While I'm aware that filters can accomplish this, I want the view to exclusively show that specific value. Does anyone have a suggested solution or workaround for this?

Answers

• sweta22
    sweta22 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. I would appreciate it if you could take a moment to look into this.

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/25/24
    Options

HI @sweta22

As you say I would create a filtered report to remove any rows that don't conform to that unique value and make the dynamic view from that instead of the main sheet.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Paul

• sweta22
    sweta22 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Paul McGuinnessI've attempted to generate a report, but it's displaying all the values within the cell. However, my intention is for it to only display a single value.

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @sweta22

Sorry, are you looking to show in the Dynamic View either:

Rows with functional only as the secondary workstream
    or
    Rows where secondary workstream contains functional alongside as well as other selections, but you don't want those other secondary selections to be visible?

Thanks

Paul

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @sweta22

Dynamic View will show the row as it is, meaning that if there are multiple selections then all the cell contents will show. It cannot hide selections that are made in the same cell.

What you could do is set up a helper column that checks the multi-select cell to see if it HAS a specific value, and if it does, return that value as a single item in a Text column. Then you can show that text column in Dynamic View instead of the multi-select column.

For example:

=IF(HAS([Secondary Workstream]@row, "Functional"), "Functional", "")

Cheers,
    Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!