Update Requests Data Validation and Percentage

Hi all,

I have successfully set up an automated update request based on a number of automations and formula's however the issue I have is the update request goes out blank which is correct however I would like SS to validate the returned data like a form. I want the information to be gathered as a percentage or at worst case a number. Is this possible? I would like the updater to be forced to only input a percentage and again this should be ideally between 0% and 100% but at worst case scenario a percentage only or number only would be really helpful. Suggestions very welcome.

Thanks in advance Rob

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would lock all the columns that are not needing the updates or are not used in formulas. Have your people enter just a number. But have the column formatted to be %. This way the only field they have access to in the Update form would be the column"s" that you want them to enter information to.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• Thanks @Mark.poole I have already done that and I'm happy with that but even if you select the whole column as a percentage column then send the update request out the updater has free reign to put what they wish in the update. Smartsheet doesn't restrict it to numbers in the update request like a form or a percentage so you have to then go back and validate the information manually and check for errors. Appreciate your points nonetheless.

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is definitely no accounting for human error. I am not sure there is a way to prevent it. How ever if there is not. I would deffinately put it as an idea for a future update.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!