Cell for entry and look up

Hi,

My finance team has asked me to create a sheet where we are capturing forecasted and actuals. To simplify the example:

they want a Column for each month.

Jan, Feb, March etc…. they want the business to enter a value for each month but when the actuals are in, they want that same cell to be a vlookup and summation from another sheet and then locked.

I don't know if it is possible for a cell to be a formula and accept a value.

Any insight on this?

Best Answer

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @MelissaSan,

Unfortunately you can't have the ability for both a column formula and accept a value. However, what if you had a master sheet that pulls from two separate sheets, one for Estimates and another for Actuals, then just have it check if the Actuals sheet is blank, use Estimates?

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

Answers

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @MelissaSan,

Unfortunately you can't have the ability for both a column formula and accept a value. However, what if you had a master sheet that pulls from two separate sheets, one for Estimates and another for Actuals, then just have it check if the Actuals sheet is blank, use Estimates?

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!