SUM Formula generating "0" by using SUM Function for four columns

Options

I have sheet, which is capturing data, within this sheet I have four formula-based columns (Case 1: Score, Case 2: Score, Case 3: Score, Case 4: Score) which will produce either "1" or "0" based on the condition of the formula (and all these four columns type is text/number). I wanted to generate a total sum value of al these columns and have created an other column "Total Score", however when I apply the formula (=SUM([Case 1: Score]@row, [Case 2: Score]@row, [Case 3: Score]@row, [Case 4: Score]@row)) the answer was returning as "0" for every row which was not correct. Can someone please help me identify the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mounika

The SUM function only works on numeric values and it sounds as if you are summing text strings. If your Case 1 - 4 have scores that were arrived by a formula that produced a "1" or "0" (enclosed with the quotes), then you generated textstrings. They may look like numbers but the quotes made them behave as texts. If you haven't adjusted the right-left justification manually and the Score values are on the left, then they are text.

Kelly

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Kelly Moore

Thank you so much! That helped.