Manually Change Flags Within a Column Formula

So I have a formula that checks if the row is a certain type "Scope" and then checks if any of the children "At Risk" Flags are checked. If so then it will check the Parent "Scope" Flag as well. But I then want to apply this formula to all parents in the sheet instead of putting it in manually. If I change to a column formula it doesn't let me check the child "At Risk" flags manually? What to do here thanks.

Formula: =IF(Structure@row = "Scope", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Flag@row), 1) > 0, 1, 0))

Best Answer

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/18/24 Answer ✓

@Usman101 the only ways to accomplish this is to minimize all the children rows. Then you can drag the formula to all the parent rows, or you can create a helper row that you actually check. Then adjust the formula to look at that row if it is a child. Then count for hierarchy. If you only have 1 level of hierarchy. the below formula will work

=IF(Helper@row = 1, 1, IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS(Helper@row)) = 0, IF(Structure@row = "Scope", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Flag@row), 1) > 0, 1, 0))))

how ever if you have multiple levels of hierarchy you need a helper row to count it.

=count(Ancestors())

Then use the below formula

=IF(Helper@row = 1, 1, IF(Ancestors@row < MAX(Ancestors:Ancestors), IF(Structure@row = "Scope", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Flag@row), 1) > 0, 1, 0))))

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/18/24 Answer ✓

@Usman101 the only ways to accomplish this is to minimize all the children rows. Then you can drag the formula to all the parent rows, or you can create a helper row that you actually check. Then adjust the formula to look at that row if it is a child. Then count for hierarchy. If you only have 1 level of hierarchy. the below formula will work

=IF(Helper@row = 1, 1, IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS(Helper@row)) = 0, IF(Structure@row = "Scope", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Flag@row), 1) > 0, 1, 0))))

how ever if you have multiple levels of hierarchy you need a helper row to count it.

=count(Ancestors())

Then use the below formula

=IF(Helper@row = 1, 1, IF(Ancestors@row < MAX(Ancestors:Ancestors), IF(Structure@row = "Scope", IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Flag@row), 1) > 0, 1, 0))))

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• @Mark.poole Thanks for the help, I will try and use this

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!