Control Center Templates

Hello,

I am just looking for some advice on building my template project set. Within my template, I have two sheets, two reports and a dashboard with a metrics sheet. Would it be best practice to pull my metrics into my metadata sheet and have all of my dashboard data pull from the metadata / intake sheet or have the dashboard pull from the metrics sheet? I don't know yet what all data i want to roll up to the portfolio so I figured it would be best to have everything in the metadata.

In the future, if I want to add data to the dashboard with global updating, I don't know if it would be best to have it in the meta data or if the metrics sheet would work just fine.

Let me know what best practices you have!

Answers

• Julie Fortney
    Julie Fortney Overachievers

Hi! The way we refer to assets when building blueprints can vary, which can make it harder to piece everything together. Here's how I define assets, which matches what you'll find in Smartsheet help articles, and some best practices:

Intake sheet - the basic data you need to create the project in SCC (and get approvals if that's part of your process)

Project Toolkit - your template that will be copied for each new project (in your case that's your two sheets, two reports, a dashboard, and what you've referred to as a metrics sheet, but let's call that a metadata sheet instead.)

Metadata sheet - This pulls key information from your Intake sheet and your project toolkit sheets into this project-level metadata sheet, and you can then roll up all projects' information into your portfolio Summary sheet. This is the best source to use for your project-level dashboard metrics.

Summary sheet - Pulls key data from your Project Toolkit metadata sheets, and feeds your Portfolio-level dashboard (if you choose to create one). This is the where the magic of SCC happens; the cell links it automatically creates from your metadata sheets to the summary sheet are the biggest timesaver.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have questions.