Continuous sheet updates?

Hello,

I am trying to see if it is possible to duplicate a row in a sheet given certain criteria. I am trying to update status on certain tasks for people month to month. I have a checkbox saying completed as well as the dates. What I want is for the rows to duplicate when the checkbox is not checked(so not completed) and for only the last month to be looked at. So if July, only look at June dates and see if tasks are not completed. Then if for August, only look at July dates and see if tasks are not completed. I was looking at the Smartsheet API and it doesn't look like it can do exactly what I want it to do because I want the Smartsheet continuously being updated. What I read in Smartsheet API is I would have to download the sheet and then have python run through it. Which defeats the purpose of true automation to me. Unless I am not fully understanding what the API can do. Also I saw Data shuttle might do more of what I am thinking. As of now I am just creating filters and copying and pasting. Which works but I like to be lazy :D

Thank you for your time.

Answers

• Adam Murphy
    Adam Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Smartsheet does not have a "duplicate row" feature, but it does have "copy row". I would create a helper sheet. In primary sheet create an automation set to run once a month on 1st of month with criteria for completed to be unchecked and the date field you want within the past month, with action to copy to helper sheet. In helper sheet have automation to move back to primary sheet. That gives the "duplicate" entries as a new row in your primary sheet.

Would that work?

• I'll try and see what I can come up with. But it may be a little to complex.