Can you automate sending an attachment when a form is submitted?

Once a user completes a form, I'd like to automate sending a follow up message with an attachment for them to complete.

Is it possible to add an attachment via the automated message or through an automation? I don't see a way to attach/ add a hyperlink.

Thanks!

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni

Alerts will only include an attachment if the attachment triggers the alert. There isn't a way to send someone an attachment that's already on the row unfortunately. However, because Smartsheet is free view, you could instead instruct them to open the attachment from Smartsheet where they'll be able to interact with it, view it inline, etc.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Davinci
    Davinci ✭✭✭

@caroline.kalinsky @Brian_Richardson

I have solved this issue, it is easy but it requires some work.

If you have your pdf attachments that you want to send via autmation an any time be it when rows are added or trigger on a cell. You can insert a the pdf link in the row and then in the email use the placeholder for that row.

Acces to the pdf document is not from smartsheed but from your CRM media. I use Joomla! CRM, and it takes a little finesee to create the pdf link that you need to place in the row.

Let me know if you need to experiment with this and I can give you the steps.

Regards

Davinci

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    edited 08/15/24

Also I’m incorrect above- if you send an Update Request instead of an Alert, it will include all attachments regardless of the trigger.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!