Help with IFERROR/INDEX Formula

Nathan Umbriac
Nathan Umbriac ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 07/10/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hello,

I am trying to write a formula to match a listing of contacts in three separate sheets with associated tasks they are assigned:

=IFERROR(INDEX({SME}, MATCH(Category@row, {SME Listing Range 3}, 0)), IFERROR(INDEX({SMEs for PV QDs involving Clinical}), MATCH(Category@row, CHILDREN({Categories for SME Listing for PV QDs}), 0)), INDEX({Categories for Clinical QDs involving PV Activity}), MATCH(Category@row, ({Clinical QDs involving PV SMEs}), 0))))

One of the sheets has children, so I included that in the formula. I'm getting UNPARSEABLE.

Any insights?

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Nathan Umbriac,

Even if you are referencing a Sheet with hierarchy you don't need to reference CHILDREN(). If you are trying to search only Child rows that's a different story but would require a different strategy, something like INDEX(COLLECT()) would work better with the addition of a column that exists to categorize rows as children or not (rather than sticking in the CHILDREN() function within a lookup formula).

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!

• Nathan Umbriac
    Nathan Umbriac ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, @Dan Palenchar.

I am only trying to search for child rows in one of the sheets.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!