INDEX & MATCH not providing expected OUTPUT

NCNWIncData
NCNWIncData ✭✭✭
edited 07/22/24 in Formulas and Functions

Good Evening,

The sheet I am working has Unique IDs inputted by the users, however, the Section/Chapter Name for each Unique ID is generate on a different sheet called the Chapter/Section Awardee Notification, scroll to the bottom

I would like to reference the Section/Chapters Names and align them with their respective Unique IDs on my current sheet I am working on below, see first image. I have attempted a few variations of the current formula but the output I get is shown below in the Section/Chapter Name Column in the first image.

=INDEX({Chapter/Section Awardee Notification}, MATCH([Record your Chapter/Section/Club Unique ID]@row, {Chapter/Section Awardee Notification Range 1}))

Formula Translation =INDEX({Chapter/Section Awardee Notification pull Section/Chapter Name}, MATCH([Record your Chapter/Section/Club Unique ID with inputted Unique ID]@row, {Chapter/Section Awardee Notification Range 1 pull Quarter - Chapter/Section/Club Unique ID}))

Current Sheet I am working on:

Chapter/Section Awardee Notification reference for each Unique ID their is a specific Section/Chapter Name

Thanks for your thoughts on this

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @NCNWIncData

Before trying any other modifications to your formula, please try adding the Search_type to your formula. Personally, I consider this a mandatory field even though it is written as optional.

=INDEX({Chapter/Section Awardee Notification}, MATCH([Record your Chapter/Section/Club Unique ID]@row, {Chapter/Section Awardee Notification Range 1},0))

Does this solve your issue?
    Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @NCNWIncData

Before trying any other modifications to your formula, please try adding the Search_type to your formula. Personally, I consider this a mandatory field even though it is written as optional.

=INDEX({Chapter/Section Awardee Notification}, MATCH([Record your Chapter/Section/Club Unique ID]@row, {Chapter/Section Awardee Notification Range 1},0))

Does this solve your issue?
    Kelly

• NCNWIncData
    NCNWIncData ✭✭✭

Good Evening Kelly,

Yes this worked perfectly! Question, I assume when you suggested including the Search_type you added the "0"? How does the "0" indicate the Search_type?

Thanks for your brilliant mind,

NCNWIncData

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @NCNWIncData

The link below may help understand the search_type definition. Although I know the formula syntax indicates that the search_type is an optional entry this is not what I have experienced. I consider the search_type to be required - and I've never used anything but the zero in all of my Matches. That's been my personal experience. I'm glad the zero worked.

Kelly

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!