Automation from sheet to sheet lost some information?

Meredith1234
edited 07/22/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I set up an automation in one of my sheets to move information to another sheet when specific criteria is met. The automation worked perfectly at first, but now I am missing information once the row was moved to the other sheet. The old sheet does not include that information anymore, and I do not know where it went. I need help returning this information and ensuring no more information will be lost if the automation continues. Please help!

Answers

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Meredith1234

1. Open the move-row automation in your source sheet and determine the target sheet where rows will be moved to
    2. Find and open the target sheet. You will find your moved rows there in the target sheet
    3. Use Move row or Copy row menu to move/copy rows from the target sheet to the source sheet
    4. Instead of using move-row automation, you can use copy-row automation in the source sheet. This will help to keep your rows in the source sheet.

Gia Thinh Technology - Smartsheet Solution Partner.

• Hello @Meredith1234,

I understand that you’re having trouble with your Smartsheet automation. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue, or that might help:

1. Check the Destination Sheet: The moved rows might appear at the bottom of the destination sheet. Also, ensure that the destination sheet does not have any non-empty rows between the rows that you want to keep.
    2. Verify Column Names: Make sure that all the columns that exist in the source sheet also exist in the destination sheet. If there are columns in the source sheet that aren’t in the destination sheet, and you don’t have Admin or Owner access to the destination sheet, the move might fail.
    3. Turn off Filters and Unhide Columns: Select the Filter button to turn filters off. Right-click any column header and select Unhide All Columns to see if this brings the missing data back into view.
    4. Modify the automation: Consider changing the automation to copy data instead of moving it, if that's not already the case. Add a step to the automation that logs moved data to a separate sheet for backup purposes.

• Hi, thank you. However, I do need to use the move automation, and it has now lost a significant amount of information on 3 different sheets. I have followed your steps, and all my sheets match what you listed. I dont think copying will work in this case because i need the information from the master sheet to be filtered to 3 separate ones. I am open to other possibilities and ways to get this information back because I need what has now been lost.

• Julie Fortney
    Julie Fortney Overachievers

It is odd that your information did not make it to the target sheet where the row was moved. I haven't seen that happen before, and I would suggest getting in touch with Support to troubleshoot it on the backend. In the meantime, to recover last data on your own you could go to your activity log and request a snapshot from before the rows were moved. Here's an example:

When you click "Request Snapshot," it will email you a file with the data on the sheet as of that time.