Reverse PMO query

Hi there,

I am running hotel opening projects - and using the PMO set up to run multiple openings simultaneously. Now, the one driver that changes the tasks (+700) is the "practical completion date" of the building. I just want to input the delivery date and that all tasks dates changes - in the current PMO set up the driver is the "start date" of the project, and I need to base timelines on the "end date" of the project. Does anyone has the answer for me please?

I sincerely appreciate your feedback on support in this community.

Regards,

Rinse

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni

Hi you can leverage Start-to-Finish predecessors to reverse engineer from an end date.

See my screenshot as an example. The first set is a normal waterfall, cascading with Finish-to-Start dependencies down to an end date that's driven by the tasks above it. Each task is dependent on the task before it in time.

The second set is a reversed waterfall, cascading upwards and backwards in time from the End Date using Start-to-Finish dependencies. Each task is Start-to-Finish dependent upon the task after it in time.

You will probably have to do a lot of heavy lifting to reverse engineer the dependencies for 700 tasks. However, this is the only method I know of, since you cannot use formulas in the Start/Finish fields in Smartsheet when dependencies are enabled.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!