#INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET

I have noticed some unusual behavior beginning on August 8th with a cell containing a complex formula. The formula initially returns the correct result but after saving the sheet, the cell changes and displays the error #INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET. When I open the sheet again, the error message is immediately replaced by the correct formula results (and listed in Cell History as being modified by "Cell Link".) This repeats every morning just after 1 am during the regular Smartsheet refresh. This solution has been in place for over 2 years and with hundreds of project tool kits provisioned. The sheet is part of a blueprint generated through Control Center which has not been modified so the formula in that cell has remained constant. The behavior and error message seem to trigger once the sheet is opened and a cell is modified which would impact the formula. Anyone else seeing odd behavior like this?

Answers

• Darren Mullen
    Darren Mullen ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mike Ferringer I've seen some funny behavior with cross sheet formulas like that where even though there is automation activity in the sheet, it didn't update properly until I was in the sheet and saved it….

When Smartsheet had the major outage some weeks ago I had to open and save several sheets to get the cell links and cross sheet formulas to refresh…..

Wonder if it's something like that… I'd suggest screen recording the behavior and submitting a support ticket to see if they can dig deeper into it.

• Mike Ferringer
    Mike Ferringer ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Darren Mullen for the quick response. I did submit a support ticket at the same time I posted the question to the Community (I always get better response from the Community). This one is strange. The error cycle only begins when the results change in the cell containing that formula. Hopefully Smartsheet Support responds in a timely fashion. Thanks again!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!