Best way to automatically copy a Smartsheet file to a SharePoint List?

cabbsman
cabbsman ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been looking on the internet for a good way to copy a Smartsheet to a SharePoint list. One of the recommendations was to user Datashuttle which I tried but it only creates a .csv or .xlsx file in the SharePoint library.

What I need is for the SharePoint List to be updated automatically from the Smartsheet file so the Datashuttle solution is limited.

Does anyone have better ideas on how to copy a Smartsheet to a SharePoint List automatically?

Best Answer

Answers

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/05/24

One option is to use Power Automate (PA).

In SharePoint (SP), create a list that has the same or similar columns as your Smartsheet. Then create a PA Flow to trigger whenever a new row is created in the Smartsheet. When triggered, the PA flow creates a new list item containing details from the new Smartsheet row.

If your sheet already exists with data, then export it and use the file to create the SP list before you create the PA flow.

Below is the format of the PA expression to return the corresponding values from the trigger. This assumes that the fields you need are adjacent to each other in the Smartsheet. That is to say, if "Fav_Color" is between "Col_3" and "Col_4", then the expression to return the "Col_4" value (the 5th value) from the newly created row would be first(skip(triggerBody()?['cells'],4))?['value'] instead of first(skip(triggerBody()?['cells'],3))?['value'] .

COL_1: first(triggerBody()?['cells'])?['value']
    COL_2: first(skip(triggerBody()?['cells'],1))?['value']
    COL_3: first(skip(triggerBody()?['cells'],2))?['value']
    COL_4: first(skip(triggerBody()?['cells'],3))?['value']
    COL_5: first(skip(triggerBody()?['cells'],4))?['value']
    COL_6: first(skip(triggerBody()?['cells'],5))?['value']
    COL_7: first(skip(triggerBody()?['cells'],6))?['value']
    COL_8: first(skip(triggerBody()?['cells'],7))?['value']
    …and so on…

• cabbsman
    cabbsman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/05/24

Great! I'll try it out. Does Col1 correspond to the title?

Thanks,

Mike

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@cabbsman , yes, in the example above, "Col_1" corresponds to the list item's "title" column.