Can I receive data from a client that uses Smartsheets to my own Smartsheet?

cbuhaly
cbuhaly
edited 09/10/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I'm looking to automate processes that currently take manual intervention. We're sent an email from the client's Smartsheet system with updates and take action on it. I'd like to get rid of this and have any updates created by them in their Smartsheet sent over to us, is this possible?

Best Answer

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    edited 09/10/24 Answer ✓

Absolutely. As long as your system admin allows it in the account settings, you can share your sheets externally, and vice versa. If you share your sheet to a client's licensed admin, and ask them to setup an automation that moves or copies rows to your sheet, it should work just fine.

Editing to add another option - if you're not looking for data to actually move, but rather you want something like a Status update from the client to appear in your sheet, then have them share their sheet to you, then you can setup cross-sheet reference formulas or cell links that will pull the data onto your sheet.

For example, you could have a "Client Status" column with a cell link to the Status column on the client's sheets. When they make updates to their sheet, your sheet will update too.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    edited 09/10/24 Answer ✓

Absolutely. As long as your system admin allows it in the account settings, you can share your sheets externally, and vice versa. If you share your sheet to a client's licensed admin, and ask them to setup an automation that moves or copies rows to your sheet, it should work just fine.

Editing to add another option - if you're not looking for data to actually move, but rather you want something like a Status update from the client to appear in your sheet, then have them share their sheet to you, then you can setup cross-sheet reference formulas or cell links that will pull the data onto your sheet.

For example, you could have a "Client Status" column with a cell link to the Status column on the client's sheets. When they make updates to their sheet, your sheet will update too.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN