Help please

I have a column that keeps returning errors….causing quite a bit of confusion and frustration.

The first threat formula is working as intended.

First milestone threat formula:

=IF(AND([Percent complete]@row <> 0.1, TODAY() > [Currentmilestone date]@row +14),"Red", IF(AND([Percent complete]@row < 0.1, TODAY() > ([Currentmilestone date]@row)), "Yellow","Green"))

The second milestone threat formula I am receiving the error to, I have the following:

=IF(AND([Percent complete]@row<>.2,TODAY()>[Second milestone date]@row+14),"RED", IF(AND([Percent complete]@row<.2,TODAY()>[Second milestone date]@row)),"YELLOW","GREEN"))

Best Answer

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You got an extra close parenthesis before your "YELLOW" than you need, so you were closing out your IF statement before returning a true value:

=IF(AND([Percent complete]@row <> 0.2, TODAY() > [Second milestone date]@row + 14), "RED", IF(AND([Percent complete]@row < 0.2, TODAY() > [Second milestone date]@row), "YELLOW", "GREEN"))

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

Answers

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You got an extra close parenthesis before your "YELLOW" than you need, so you were closing out your IF statement before returning a true value:

=IF(AND([Percent complete]@row <> 0.2, TODAY() > [Second milestone date]@row + 14), "RED", IF(AND([Percent complete]@row < 0.2, TODAY() > [Second milestone date]@row), "YELLOW", "GREEN"))

• Thank you so much @Jason Tarpinian, frustrating that I missed that and caused myself more work and grief but very thankful you were able to point it out so quickly!

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/11/24

Don't worry about it, I was able to find it quickly because I've been in your shoes WAAYY too many times! 😊

A method I use to catch it, is if you click through the formula, the helper window will show you where you're supposed to be. So like below, my cursor is clicked on "YELLOW" so the "value_if_true" should highlight if I had the formula written correctly.

• Oh my gosh! Thank you for the tip!!! That makes sense.

Question….and this may be a generic Smartsheet question.

My column is set to symbols exactly like the first column. But it's returning the color in text versus the colored symbol.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!