Check checkbox column for both the parent and child row if the child row contains "Editing"

I want to generate a summary report of all items that need editing. However the "editing" line item only says "Editing", so I want to also bring in the parent row that says the name of the document being edited. I have a column that I want to be checked for any child row that says "editing" and also the associated parent row of the child row that has the word "editing".

This is what I have tried but it's not quite right:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row)) > 0, IF(COUNTIFS(DESCENDANTS(FIND("Tech Editing", [Task Name]@row)>=1, 1, 0), IF(AND(FIND("Tech Editing", [Task Name]@row) >= 1, 1, 0))

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/02/24 Answer ✓

I can't unravel the formula so I'm just looking at the words. Would something like this work?

1 Check checkbox column if the current row contains "Editing"

=IF(CONTAINS("Tech Editing", [Task Name]@row), 1)

If the cell in Task Name contains "Tech Editing" the formula will return 1. In a checkbox column, 1 will check the box.

2 Check checkbox column in parent row if child row contains "Editing"

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row)) > 0, IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row), CONTAINS("Tech Editing", @cell)) > 0, 1))

If the count of children is more than 0 this is a parent row. If that is true, if the count of children containing "Tech Editing" is greater than 0, return 1.

3 Combine formula 1 an 2

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row)) > 0, IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row), CONTAINS("Tech Editing", @cell)) > 0, 1), IF(CONTAINS("Tech Editing", [Task Name]@row), 1))

Add the formula in part 1 to the position that is evaluated if the row is not a parent. So if not a parent row, the box is ticked if the row itself contains "Tech Editing"

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/02/24 Answer ✓

I can't unravel the formula so I'm just looking at the words. Would something like this work?

1 Check checkbox column if the current row contains "Editing"

=IF(CONTAINS("Tech Editing", [Task Name]@row), 1)

If the cell in Task Name contains "Tech Editing" the formula will return 1. In a checkbox column, 1 will check the box.

2 Check checkbox column in parent row if child row contains "Editing"

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row)) > 0, IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row), CONTAINS("Tech Editing", @cell)) > 0, 1))

If the count of children is more than 0 this is a parent row. If that is true, if the count of children containing "Tech Editing" is greater than 0, return 1.

3 Combine formula 1 an 2

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row)) > 0, IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row), CONTAINS("Tech Editing", @cell)) > 0, 1), IF(CONTAINS("Tech Editing", [Task Name]@row), 1))

Add the formula in part 1 to the position that is evaluated if the row is not a parent. So if not a parent row, the box is ticked if the row itself contains "Tech Editing"

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!