Automatically linking cells when a new row is added to a sheet

RayB
RayB ✭✭
edited 10/08/24 in Formulas and Functions

I have two sheets. Sheet 1 contains primary data, the other secondary. When a new row is added to sheet 1 I want to be to create a new row in sheet 2 that contains the information in specific cells from sheet 1. I want that link to work such that if Sheet 1 is updated that is reflected in sheet 2 - the sheets stay in sync for specifc cells. Can this be done automatically or do the links have to be built manually….I'm sure others have faced this conundrum before 😁

Tags:

Best Answer

• Sarah Keortge
    Sarah Keortge ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

For a fully automated solution, you'll need the SS premium apps Bridge and DataMesh.

If you're willing to add new rows manually to your secondary sheet, then you could use the INDEX/MATCH function combo to retrieve updates from your primary sheet without the need for direct cell linking.

Answers

• Sarah Keortge
    Sarah Keortge ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

For a fully automated solution, you'll need the SS premium apps Bridge and DataMesh.

If you're willing to add new rows manually to your secondary sheet, then you could use the INDEX/MATCH function combo to retrieve updates from your primary sheet without the need for direct cell linking.

• RayB
    RayB ✭✭

Thanks Sarah…..thought more licenses would probably be the answer ☹️

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!