Any help in understanding record limit in API?

Robert_Nich
Robert_Nich ✭✭
edited 10/15/24 in API & Developers

Hi there.

Full disclosure - I know almost nothing about API's…despite REALLY wanting to learn.

That said…

I'm trying to use the Smartsheet API inside of Alteryx to pull data from a Smartsheet report. Someone sent me an Alteryx workflow for that purpose, and it works, but it won't pull in all the records. My Smartsheet has +/- 1600 or so records, and based on past utilization will likely grow by 10-15 records a week.

At first, it would only pull in EXACTLY 100 rows, no matter what...so I changed the API endpoint script to add a pageSize parameter…which helped…once I changed it to say ?pageSize=250 I get 250 records…Up to 500 records, it will return them all in about 2-3 seconds.

HOWEVER

If I change it to anything past like 550, it stops working. Alteryx will just freeze up and never complete the data pull. I have not experimented to get an exact # of records it'll pull without freezing as every time it does freeze I have to completely re-start Alteryx, but I know it's somewhere between 550 and 575.

The Alteryx developer who gifted me the workflow said he's used it in his company's Smartsheet instance on large sheets without issue…so I'm wondering if maybe there might be some kind of setting on the Smartsheet server side that might be keeping more than 500 records flowing in?

Anyway, I apologize if I sound like I just fell off of a turnip truck. API's are still a huge mystery to me.

thanks for any advice.

EDIT - sorry…I was inspired to try something after this post. it seems as though it's not related to # of records. If I change my workflow to only pull a single column (thus much less data) it works with more rows. So, my guess it has to do with just the amount of data in the massive string of data coming from Smartsheet.

I guess I'm wondering still if that's a Smartsheet thing or not…is there a limit to the sheer amount of data that can go into a API data pull?

Rob