Is there a way to use the current user filter just on some people and not everyone?

Is there a way to use the current user filter so that people can only see the rows they have been assigned to, but other people can see the whole sheet? I am working on a confidential project where there are 4 people in charge and need to see all tasks. But they want to assign tasks to other people without them seeing the whole sheet. Is there a way to filter just for some people?

Tags:

Answers

• ericncarr
    ericncarr ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi again! @Alicia D

I currently do this but just for one admin account. I have an Assignee column as normal, then a "Current User Override" column that I have a column formula equal to my admin account's email address.

The filter is then to show rows that match at least one condition:

• Assignee is one of Current User
    • Current User Override is one of Current User

In your case I would probably have four columns for the people in charge" one for each role that they occupy and do a lookup to a separate role table to grab their contact information (this way if things change you only ever have to update your role table and can use it elsewhere). Or if your environment is pretty self contained just have 4 different columns with their own column formulas equal to the respective email addresses.

Then your filter would be much like mine you would just have 4 criteria for the 4 people in charge columns and 1 for the Assignee being equal to the current user.

It would be wonderful to be able to join collect to narrow it down to one helper column but still waiting on that functionality!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!