Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Completing sub tasks

Options
anitappatel
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Quick question...if I mark or move all sub tasks related to one parent card as 'Complete', why does the parent card not automatically roll up to 'Complete'?

Thanks.

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 09/28/17
    Options

Hi Anita,

Only certain fields automatically roll up to the parent row with dependencies enabled sheets. More info on the parent roll up can be found in our help center: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/765753-parent-rollup-functionality

You'll need to create formulas to automate other roll up features. Placing a formula like the following in the box will check the parent if all of the children are checked:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) = COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), 1), 1)

More information on all of the functions Smartsheet has can be found in the help center: https://help.smartsheet.com/functions

• anitappatel
    Options

Thanks for that - will try it.

Can I just say how wonderful Smartsheet is! I don't know how I've lived without it for so long as it does everything in one place.

The only thing I would like it to do is to link tasks from a row in an Action Log sheet to a reference row in the Project Plan sheet but not adopt the data of that row from the Project Plan.  For eg, the project plan could have a row which states "Agree overall programme governance" but the Action Log would have rows that state "Set up meeting with X,Y,Z to agree programme governance" etc.  I want this action to link to the overall project plan but have it's own duration and dates.  Can this be done?

• Hannah C
    Options

Is this the same for a dropdown list column called "Status" that has the input options, "Not Started" "In Progress" and "Complete"? I can't seem to get the above formula to work for the parent item to be marked "Complete" automatically if all of its children are marked "Complete". I also attempted to modify the formula to read as follows but it did not work: =IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) = COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Complete"), "Complete")

Thanks!

Hannah

This discussion has been closed.