Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Copy Conditional Formatting Rules

Options
Chris182
Chris182
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hi,

I tend the same conditional formatiing rules across several Workspaces and sheets.

Is there a way to copy the rules so I can use them on new sheets?

Thanks.

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chris,

You can clone within a sheet but not accross a sheet.  What you are sayin implies that your sheets are either the same or similar in construction.  I would therfoe recommend that you create either a Master Blank sheet with all the conditiona formatting in from which you create your new sheets or a Template.

If you have one of these then you can create a new blank sheet and the move the Data from the Old sheet into the new sheet (Right mouse button Move or Copy to diffenent sheet).

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/14/16
    Options

@Chris182

I agree this would be a helpful feature.  There are work-arounds, but the ability to copy the conditional formatting rules seems like the most user-friendly solution.  

• Bill Grover
    Options

I would like to third this. I Agree with Steve, this would be a very user friendly option especially for those still adjusting to the interface.

• Just Jean
    Options

Agree, this would be extremely helpful, especially when importing sheets from Excel.

• StacyDe
    StacyDe ✭✭
    edited 02/02/17
    Options

YES! Sign me up for this.  I find new rules that help ALL the time and to update the template each time I find something thats useful is not the easiest thing in the world (usually becaue I dont remember exactly which conditions I added)!

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anybody want a beer?  I'm planning on buying several rounds in August, when this unimplemented feature request reaches 2 years of age.

• Glenn Sullivan
    edited 02/17/17
    Options

Is there a way to escalate this?  Can we all contact our sales reps and demand this?  Seems like it could quite easy (export something in XML format and then import it back to a sheet).

Is there a process for this (like Salesforce.com has there "IDEAS" and you can vote)?

• Matt Brooks
    edited 04/11/17
    Options

agree with this request. Difficult epsecially when setting them up for the first time. Its like we cannot really get into using the reports without setting up the perfect template first time.

• Matt Brooks
    Options

think this would be hugely helpful. Changes across 10+ sheets is a massive pain! having to screenshot and re-enter over and over again.

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

LOL.  I use screenshots to re-create formatting rules in new sheets too.  So maddening.

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/14/17
    Options

Happy Birthday to this conditional formatting feature request!  You are two years old!  We're having a meet-up of disgruntled users at the Upland Brewery in Indiana.  Join us on August 9th, 2017 at 4pm!  Here's hoping for implementation of baselines in 2018 as well!

Carmel Tap House | Upland Brewing Co. - Craft brews join a menu of pizza, burgers & other bar fare, including vegetarian & vegan items.

Address: 820 E 116th St, Carmel, IN 46032

Phone(317) 564-3400

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 07/14/17
    Options

Hi All,

We appreciate your passion for wanting to make Smartsheet a better application. Demand is a key indicator for how a feature is made. We wish that we had the developer resources to get every feature that has been requested made into the app, but we have to prioritize.

Submitting a Product Enhancement Request using the form under Quick links on the right of the community site is best way to communicate to our Product team that lack of this functionality has been a pain point for you as you use Smartsheet.

To be clear—submitting a product enhancement request does not guarantee that the feature you're requesting will be developed, but customer feedback is a key indicator for the features our Product team makes.

On another note referring to Steve's post—although I enjoy the spirit of camaraderie, please use common sense with any online invitations to meet up in person with someone.

• John Fox
    Options

Big upvote from me.

• Tukee
    Options

I have 42 projects going and sometimes we want to conditionally format them differently for a few weeks which is why a copy/paste feature is so important. Quite challenging doing something with a GUI (no cli) and having to do it 42 times every time the team wants a change.

• Tukee
    Options

I'll take a Saison please. Thank you! angry

This discussion has been closed.