Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Scrolling with a mouse wheel

Options
George Rogers
George Rogers ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

This is a minor thing but trying to figure out how to scroll up and down in my sheets using the wheel on my mouse.  This works in every other piece of software I use but in a Smartsheet I have to use the slider bar on the side to move up and down through a sheet.

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

It could be a browser extension causing this behavior. Try disabling all your browser extensions or use a different browser and see if you are able to scroll.  

Chrome

Settings icon > Tools > Extensions  

IE

Tools > Manage Add-ons  

Firefox

Settings icon > Add-ons > Extensions  

Safari

Safari > Preferences > Extensions

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A Note, try clicking into it if you have just opened or switched to. it may overcome the issue.  It is also a little slow sometimes before it will do it.

• Sherry Wang
    Options

I am having the same issue in Chrome! I don't want to disable all my extensions, and can't figure out which extension it is that's causing the problem. Has anyone figured this out?

I don't have the issue in Firefox.

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 06/30/15
    Options

Sherry, do you have a Logitech extension? We have seen that particular extension cause odd behavior in the app.

• Sherry Wang
    Options

I did! I deleted it, but am still having the issue. I haven't restarted the browser though- I suspect restarting the browser will fix it at this point. Will try that now and re-post with results!

• Ruud Tissen
    Options

I have the same, scrolling does not work in Chrome. Explorer works fine.

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Ruud - have you tried disabling extensions? 

• Toby
    Toby ✭✭
    edited 07/08/15
    Options

I found that disabling Logitech Smooth Scrolling in Chrome solved this issue

• Sherry Wang
    Options

Yup! That did it! Disabled Logitech Smooth Scrolling in Chrome, restarted the browser, and I can now scroll. Thanks, everyone!

• Steven Edwards
    Options

Hi, Can confirm that disabling Logitech Smooth Scrolling in Chrome fixes the issue.

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Chris Hansen
    Options

Disabling the browser estension for Logitech Smooth Scrolling in Chrome solved this issue for me.

Thanks

• MATRIX Architect
    Options

Original solution worked for me... "It could be a browser extension causing this behavior. Try disabling all your browser extensions or use a different browser and see if you are able to scroll.  

Chrome

Settings icon > Tools > Extensions  

IE

Tools > Manage Add-ons  

Firefox

Settings icon > Add-ons > Extensions  

Safari

Safari > Preferences > Extensions"

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Adding onto this conversation.

I am able to scroll, but I find that Smartsheet does not respect the settings of the mouse scroll wheel while I am in a sheet or report.  If I go to the home tab, or scroll around in my favorites, I can see that one click of the wheel ~= the number of lines I have set in my system.  However, as soon as I go into a sheet or report, it reduces the scrolling down to one line per click.  And, it seems to add some kind of acceleration to it as well.  If I scroll down 30 clicks quickly, I end up down on row 100 something.

I have disabled all chrome extensions and restarted chrome - no effect on bug

I have uninstalled my mouse programs and I am just using the windows mouse settings - no effect

I did both of the above together - no effect.

It's not that my mouse won't scroll, it's just that it won't scroll correctly.  

All tests done within the same sheet, with all extensions disabled, and using windows native mouse settings.

Mouse - Logitech M570 

Mouse scroll wheel setting in native windows mouse settings panel - 6 lines per click

Test of scroll distance within a sheet

Start by clicking on row 1 and then slowly ticking down three ticks on the mouse wheel.

Expected result is ~18 = 6 x 3 (though this could vary a little)

Result is the first fully visible row showing at the top of the sheet

Chrome:  5

Firefox: 8

IE:  5

Test of scroll distance within the favorites list(lines per tick of the wheel)

Start by clicking the checkbox on the first favorite and then slowly ticking down three ticks on the mouse wheel.  Click the checkbox at the favorite now at the top of the list.

Expected result is ~18 = 6 x 3 (though this could vary a little)

Result is the number of the row where the second check mark is located.

Chrome:  21

Firefox:  10

IE:  16

So, regardles of the browser, within a sheet the mouse scroll wheel settings are not respected within Smartsheet.

Is this a huge deal, no.  But it's super frustrating when you're trying to navigate a sheet and it doesn't work correctly.  I have contacted support for help, but have put this to the community to share the results.

• Rebecca_C
    Rebecca_C
    edited 06/28/17
    Options

deleted, I found something else instead.

• drewhinkle
    Options

I have the identical problem and it is more than just a minor problem.  This bug throws off my entire workflow and is a major pain in the neck.  Problem is duplicated on two PCs; running Win7 and Win10.  Using Logitech driver and native driver.  Scrolling within smartsheet using Logitech trackball isn't accelerated - it multiplies the number of lines previously set in the OS.  For example, when I set the number of lines to 1 it will scroll multiple lines.  However, the number of lines seems to follow a rule of distance rather than numbers of rows.  Display resolution may have an impact on this.  When using one PC it scrolls about 5 lines but when using another PC with different resolution it only jumps ~2 lines.  My mouse is set to scroll only 1 line per click, so smartsheet needs to somehow lower the spacing for scrolling to more appropriate keep up with the OS.

This discussion has been closed.