Printing rows from report

Marcin P
Marcin P
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi Smartsheet,

I am getting annoyed. Why if i want to print row from report, printout contains rows that are not visible in report? I have a special report where one specific column has to be hidden in printout only as this paper is passed to employees that should not see this specific information.

No. It is impossible, because each row in report is printed with all columns. What sense it makes?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Marcin,

As a workaround, you could connect the sheet to Google Docs and maybe create/share the information from there?

Would that work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Another workaround would be to filter the sheet itself then hide the column before printing.

• Hi guys!

thanks for suggestions, but I can't go for any of them, so for now we have to hide this specific information by black marker.

Analog plugin :D

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Marcin,

Great that you found a solution even though its analog laugh

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I have the same problem as described in the Original post.

Is Smartsheet working on fixing this bug?

All of the suggested workarounds are impractical and unfeasible.

For one particular project, I have an NCMR procedure we're using Smartsheet to facilitate. There are multiple areas in Production and warehouses where various hourly employees will need to be able to print a single row from a report - that print will become a label they paste onto non-conforming material. These employees will not have the skill or time to implement any of the suggested workarounds. 

I had submitted a report to support@smartsheet. The initial response was prompt, same day, but haven't heard back from them since replying that their suggested fix did not work. 

If they have a good solution, I'll update this thread with it. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi James,

If the information isn't changing in the row regularly, I think the Google Docs integration could work great. All the rows would have a PDF ready for print when needed.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

• That solution would not work for me. 

Users report new instances of Non-Conforming material by using a form that initiates a new row within the smartsheet.

Upon submitting the form/creating a new row, Update Requests are automatically sent to appropriate individuals depending upon the content of the new entry. One of those update requests goes to one of multiple inventory areas; The Update Request asks the inventory team member to provide some added information, and also at that point in time, they must then print that row onto a label, and then go paste the label(s) onto the material. All of this is intended to happen within moments of the form submittal. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Would it work if you created a copy of the report and removed the column you don't want to include in the print? You could have a link in the main report that links to the print report.

Best,

Andrée

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ok.

Would it work if you created a copy of the report and removed the column you don't want to include in the print? You could have a link in the main report that links to the print report.

It could probably be automated to print automatically or send a file or similar with the help of a third-party tool like Zapier or similar.

Best,

Andrée

• James F at DuraVent
    edited 02/28/19

Smartsheet Support has provided a solution, so wanted to share it here:

"...Thanks for your patience as we investigated further. I can confirm that when using the steps below to print a single row from a column, all unhidden columns from the source sheet will be included:

1. Select a row in the report
    2. Right-click the row number
    3. Select Print option

When using the steps below instead, the printed rows will only include the columns in the report: 

1. Select a row, multiple rows, or no rows
    2. Click the Print icon in the toolbar (upper left above the sheet)

Using the Print icon, you can select a single row and print only the columns included in the report, but the right-click context menu option for printing will always include the unhidden columns from the source sheet. This is by design, but I have notified the Product team that you've provided feedback for the desire for it to work like the Print icon instead...."

Tested it and it works. Only the columns of the report are displayed on the print. Thanks, Smartsheet team. 

• Hi James—

Glad to hear it's working for you! Just letting you know that I edited out the email address in your post to avoid confusion for anyone else who might see your post. (Our Support team can't be reached by email.)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi James,

Great to hear that you got it working and thanks for sharing!

Best,

Andrée

• Hi All,

James' solution given by support is only partly ok. It will work for those who is ok with hotizontal print, but it does not work for vertical print because print icon is printing row in horizontal layout by default without any other option to choose.

So as long as there is a drifference in printing layout depend on which print option we use, this solution is only a part solution.

I need single row printed vertically, so it does not work for me at all.

• Marcin P
    Marcin P
    edited 03/05/19

Hello again!

I would like to send big thanks for Smartsheet techs and support!

Just noticed that print has changed. Now we can print single row without hidden column OR include them by using checkbox in print options.

Very well done guys!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Marcin,

That's great news!

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Andrée