Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Creating a Report is slow

Options
J. Craig Williams
J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Or is it just me? Or my Windows PC?

If there is something I can do on my end to speed this up, I'd like to know.

I have Chrome open (Firefox is MUCH worse) and can view the Home Tab.

Go!

I click on Create New > Report

and watch the loading screen - 12-15 seconds (Firefox 17-20)

the Report is created but is not open

1. Time savings #1 - why not? Why would anyone create a new report and NOT want to edit it immediately? Just practicing?

I click to open the Report and watch the loading screen - 20-30 seconds (Firefox 40-55 seconds)

and I can finally edit.

I update the Report Builder - and click Run and/or [X] because I can not see the results of the Report with the Report Builder in the way.

I can see wanting to refresh the results from the Builder without seeing the results -- but a "Run and Close" button kind of like the "Save and Preview" feature in WebForms would save a step or two. Every little bit helps.

Is this a function of my browser (latest version), graphics card, CPU processor, or memory?

I've watched all of those in Task Manager - nothing significant.

Sometimes (and sometimes not) opening/creating another Report is quicker. I haven't timed them yet but it appears to be so.

I assume something is being loaded into memory and some of that is a framework for all Reports and some of that is for the specific reports. But if i don't have a report open for a while and come back it seems (more testing needed) that the lag / delay / memory loading whatever is back.

Does anyone else experience this?

Craig

Tags:

Comments

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Craig,

Don't know if you're still having this problem or not, however, mine is running just fine. No delays in opening or re-running. It's very quick.

Sorry.

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 06/30/16
    Options

Hi Craig-- About how many sheets are in your account (owned + shared on)? I have seen initial Report loading take quite a bit of time depending on how many sheets the report is drawing from. If the report is drawing on all of your sheets/workspaces by default, this might be a factor.

Feel free to email me directly or Support@Smartsheet.com if that doesn't seem to explain the issue--we'll be able to provide more extensive troubleshooting steps!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/03/16
    Options

Kennedy,

Thanks.

The complaint is not on an existing Report but rather creating a completely new one.

It is nearly 2 minutes and several clicks between the time I start the Create New process before I can even access the Report Builder.

There should be no impact on whether there are one sheet or ten thousand in my account or shared to me. If there is, this is bug in my opinion.

Craig

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Heidi, 

I'm still having the problems - and my customer is complaining too (and they are nearly twice as fast as my testing from Germany).

Craig

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/10/16
    Options

Kennedy,

Related to your question "About how many sheets are in your account (owned + shared on)"...

I have my own personal/company account.

I can do a download of the sheet access report, I can see how many sheets are shared in the account (not all are mine) from the Account Admin. 

I am shared to quite a few sheets outside my own account.

I'm a licensed user in two other accounts.

There is no simple way to get an answer to your question except by going to the Home tab and scrolling down to the Owned By Me and Shared To Me groups and counting them individually one-by-one. 

If there is a better way, I'd like to know it.

If there isn't, I would like there to be.

Thanks.

Craig

• Kennedy Stomps
    Options

Hi Craig-- Can you send me (via email) a screen capture video of what happens when you try to create a new report? I haven't been able to re-create any kind of lagging or slow response on my end, so this will be the best way to move forward with troubleshooting. Thanks!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/11/16
    Options

I can.

Today is faster than orignal report on June 28th.

That day was the worst.

Will do it now.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.