Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Gantt Chart Zoom

Dusty Robinson
Dusty Robinson ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

When I am viewing and printing gantt charts I often need a zoom level in between the default zoom levels available for gantt charts. Is it possible to incorporate more felxibility with how zoomed in or out a gantt chart is? Maybe a slider or number?

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 06/29/15

Hi Dusty! There are not any zoom options other than the default options but I will pass your feedback along to the product team. 

• If I could +1 this 100 times I would.  This is so critical to my team for the use of smart sheets.  The gantt bars on my screen are either 1cm wide or 15 cm wide.  This is a huge variation.  Maybe just some more gradations on click.... or a slider bar! 

• The zooming of Gantt charts definitely needs to have more steps. it is almost useless now

• Hey https://community.smartsheet.com/users/travis

is there any thought for having this on the near term roadmap?  It is a valuable feature and I think many would like it.  I would think that it should be a simple implementation.

Thanks!

• We really need this for project management now. As it is you can only see a few months and next step is several years. That is way way too crude in zooming levels

kr

Morten

• The default zoom settings are particularly bad for projects that span about 10 months.  

At one zoom level, I can only see half the project (5 month view)

And at the next zoom setting, I can barely see my project (40 month view)

We really need finer ganularity in the zoom.  Having an 800% increase (5 months to 40 months) from one zoom to the next is much too large

• I agree 100% on the Gantt zoom levels. We need to zoom in to see hours AND to even see the days closer. THIS IS IMPORTANT and A DEAL BREAKER IF NOT FIXED!

• Another: Please fix the zoom levels! Using excel for schedules still, just because of this. Just having a dates in a column is not very intuitive, and when zooming out, to look at a few months, they are collapsed to invisibility.

M

• +1 on the fixing of this feature. 

• I also request this feature be fixed.

• cbenno
    cbenno ✭✭

Yes, please improve the granularity between the quarterly and monthly zoom levels. For a project which lasts about 12 months its either zoomed in a bit too far, or zoomed out WAY WAY too far. Makes the Gantt chart kind of useless as a visual tool, and 12 months must be a common project time horizon so I imagine many of your customers find this limitation annoying.

Cheers

Craig

• PaulHeth
    PaulHeth
    edited 02/24/18

+100.  Smartsheet you are shooting yourself in the foot by not addressing this. 

There are lot of project planning and spreadsheet tools out there to choose from. For me your unique positioning is the easy combination of both.  But the lack of granularity on the Gantt zoom makes in almost useless. 

I have stopped recommending Smartsheet because of this and may discontinue use.  Promoter turned lost customer.

Not looking for anything fancy, just a few more steps between tiny and huge.  I hate to say it, but if you want a great example of how it should work, check out Wrike.  Their gantt view is excellent.  Not as flexible on the spreadsheet side however, so smartsheet could quickly move into the lead with minor improvements to this gantt zoom issue.

• cbenno
    cbenno ✭✭

bump, is it possible for this to be addressed?

• Proper zoom levels on Gantt charts are crucial!

I've been an avid user of Smartsheet until I switched companies a few years ago. Now that I've changed companies again, I'm able to pick it up again.

At the time the shortest duration for a task was 1 day. A great change since then is that you can be much more detailed by defining a duration up to minutes.

The Gantt chart however, in such a case is pretty much useless since the zoom level is limited.

I use hours/minutes durations for the planning of events and even for building a presentation flow. These things typically take less than a day.

It looks like this topic has been around for quite some years (June 2015). Can product management give an update on the plans for the zoom levels on Gantt charts, please?

This discussion has been closed.