Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Editing Templates

Options
Laura
Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

When you select a template it only gives you the option to "Use Template" or "Cancel"

Is it possible to edited a template that has already been created?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Laura,

Yes, once you "Use the template" it is yours to do whatever you want to it. It's really just your stating point. Try it,

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/27/16
    Options

Heidi,

If I want to edit the originial template, I'd click "Use Template" make my changes and resave it then delete the originial template?

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Laura,

Once you say you want to use the template, it will ask you to rename it and where you want to save it in your side bar. The templates are available to everyone in the community. The one you save and rename is the one you will be able to make your own. Does this help?

Peace!

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/27/16
    Options

Thanks but thats not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to update the template (for everyone) Is that not possible?

I've already made Template A but we decided a few changes would make it better. Is there not a way to edit/update Template A without having to save as another name?

• Heidi Decker
    Heidi Decker ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Laurs,

I'm sorry I misunderstood, yes, you can edit the template and just save it. Then the template is ready to use again.

When we change one of our templates, we usually put a revision number on it so we can always go back if needed. It's also a way to make sure everyone is working with the same template version.

Peace!

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi All—

To give the low-down on how templates work in Smartsheet: a template is not directly editable. If you created a template from one of your sheets, that template can only be used to launch new sheets.

If you need to make changes after saving a sheet as a template, you'll need to make changes to the original sheet (or create a new sheet from the template), make your changes, then save that as a template. 

You'd likely want to delete the old template you made to avoid confusion.

• Zou
    Options

Laura's initial concern is valid.  The ability to edit an existing template without going through all the work-arounds to create a new one and delete others is a shortcoming imho. I too ran into this.  Editing an existing template without having to create new ones would be extremely useful.

This discussion has been closed.