How to use IF(ISBLANK and another IF formula?

Hello,

I am trying to create a formula and I need some help.

The formula would be in a column which have a single select dropdown option: Update.

The formula would use information from two columns. The column names are Level and Latest Update.

If the Level = 2, and the Latest Update is not blank, I would like the formula to return Update.

The following formula works however, I can't figure out how to combine it with the Level =2 condition.

=IF(ISBLANK([Latest Update]@row), "", "Update")

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Tina

Best Answer

Answers

• Tina
    Tina ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Andrew! Is there a way that I can also add this in to the formula? =IF(Level@row = 1, "Project Update") 

I keep getting an error.

• The syntax is IF(condition, value if true, value if false). I find the best way is to start from something simple that works and keep adding more complexity.

In this case, I understand you want to set the field only if the latest update is not blank. So start from:

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Latest Update]@row)),"Something","")

Now you want the "Something" above to vary based on the Project level. If there are more than 2 project levels, you need to cater for the others. So :

"Something" = IF(Level@row = 1, "Project Update",IF(Level@row = 2, "Update",""))

Putting the second into the first, you end up with:

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Latest Update]@row)), IF(Level@row = 1, "Project Update",IF(Level@row = 2, "Update","")),"")

Which will be blank if the latest update is blank or the project level is not 1 or 2, "Project Update" if the level is one, "Update" if the level is two.

Is that what you are after?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!