Cross sheet formula to allow a series of data to be pulled into 1 cell

Options

This is my formula:

=IF(Staff4 <> "", VLOOKUP(Staff4, {Sheet - PTO & Project Staffing Range 1}, 56, false), "")

I need to see all the data in Staffing Range that Staff4 is working on.

Right now, I have it naming the first name in that column. I want it to list all the different names of projects that Kate is working on.

Please help!

Nathalie

Comments

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/24/20
    Options

=join(collect(Project:Project,Project:Project,not(isblank(@cell)),Staff:Staff,@cell= Staff4), ", ")+join(collect([Project 2]:[Project 2],[Project 2]:[Project 2],not(isblank(@cell)),Staff:Staff, @cell = Staff4), ", ")

You just need to add your other sheet references for the project, project 2, and staff columns.

• Thank you so much!

Nathalie

• I couldn't make that work. I'm going to try to explain what I need more concisely.

Here is my result sheet with the current formula which gives me the first project name (on the other sheet) associated with the Assigned to person.

What I need is for the formula to give me all the project names (on the other sheet) associated with the Assigned to person. Ideally, separated by a comma.

Thank you for your help.

Nathalie

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is the persons name on a single row, or multiple?

Please post the formula you tried to use that is updated with the current references.

• Multiple rows, always the same column.

I've tried so many things. None of them worked. DISTINCT, COLLECT, JOIN and whatever else seemed to make sense.

I'm stumped.

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

try posting my exact formula on a random empty cell on the same sheet and see if it works. if not we can take a look at some other options.

Please post the formula you have already tried with your other sheet references so I can check for syntax errors.

• Hi,

posting the formula in a random empty cell gets the #UNPARSEABLE error message.

=IF(Staff4 <> "", VLOOKUP(Staff4, {Sheet - PTO & Project Staffing Range 1}, 56, false), "")

This formula works but only the first time a project appears with the corresponding Staff. I want my result cell to mention all the projects that correspond to the person/Staff.

Thank you for your help.

N

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!