How to link multiple cells, on multiple projects with ease

I'm managing 71 construction projects. I use one sheet per project site to track 182 (start, finish, and "actual complete") tasks that vary, per project scope. (546 date cells per project)

I'm needing to run multiple reports, containing all projects, with abilities to sort, add date altering functions like ("Cell" -30d), conditional formatting for status, multiple filtering options, and cross sheet vlookup,

This is for client needs, my accounting team, and much more.

I've found a way to accomplish this with a combination of thousands of manual cell links, and vlookup functions to sneak under the 5000 link restriction, but the time consumed with the manual linking, makes it an infeasible option.

Thoughts?

Best Answer

• Derek Williams
    Answer ✓

Thank you for the reply.

The structure works, but is not what I would consider "excellent" due to the sheer amount of individually linking, every time I add a new project to my list. While rallying my troops to all get on board with Smartsheet, their is no possible way that I will be able to teach the collective how to set their projects up to mimic what I have created our TX market.

And premium add-ons during this phase, will only hinder my ability to sell this system change to the owners and company decision makers.

I could rethink the procedures used to make this easier, but will hit the linking restriction doing so. Do you have an option of expanding the 5000 link max, without upgrading to the full Premium package? If not, I'm afraid this idea will stall and move a new direction.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Derek,

It seems like you have an excellent structure set up already.

Thats said, I’ll get back to the post if I think of some tips and tricks that could make it better.

Have you looked at the possibilities with the Premium Add-ons? Are those an option?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Derek Williams
    Answer ✓

Thank you for the reply.

The structure works, but is not what I would consider "excellent" due to the sheer amount of individually linking, every time I add a new project to my list. While rallying my troops to all get on board with Smartsheet, their is no possible way that I will be able to teach the collective how to set their projects up to mimic what I have created our TX market.

And premium add-ons during this phase, will only hinder my ability to sell this system change to the owners and company decision makers.

I could rethink the procedures used to make this easier, but will hit the linking restriction doing so. Do you have an option of expanding the 5000 link max, without upgrading to the full Premium package? If not, I'm afraid this idea will stall and move a new direction.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Are you using an intake process in Smartsheet as well?

I'd be happy to have a look and see if I have any tips or tricks.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s)? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.