grouping columns

Options

I'm new with Smartsheet. I want to replace some of my work scope I'm doing currently with Excell by Smartsheet. For this I have two question:

1) Is it possible to group columns as you can in excel?

2) Is it possible to merge cells (horizontally)?

Regards

Chris

Grouping in excel

Merging in excel

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Cristoph,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to either group columns or merge cells in Smartsheet, but it's an excellent idea!

It's a different structure in Smartsheet!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment to have your vote added

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Janardhan N
    Janardhan N ✭✭
    edited 11/04/20
    Options

Hi,

I just saw this requirement on smart sheet community since 2015 or 2017, however I completely agree that grouping columns always help to categorizing the data needed for our specific needs.

Don't know when we can see this feature.

Thanks

J

• Dan Rennert
    Options

I am new to smartsheet. Grouping columns is a often used feature in excel. Currently by grouping cells in excel, I can look at specific data only in specific columns quickly to make the information managable. Surely there is a way to group or filter columns in smartsheet to look only a specific data quickly, else it really won't fit my need.

Dan

• Jason W
    Jason W ✭✭
    Options

Bumping this one since its now 2022 (1/31) and we still don't have column grouping. This is a MAJOR flaw versus excel. WHEN WILL THIS HAPPEN!?!?!

• bmclark
    Options

I too would really like to see this happen. Using 3 columns for 1 day would look a lot cleaner to have as grouped columns.

• chouk
    Options

I also would like to see this feature added. We have a form where a person can fill out requests for multiple parts and the form has logic that allows for grouping in a way, but that doesn't follow to the sheet which is frustrating.

• BRENMAR
    Options

Hi there,

I also support column grouping. In lieu of that, what does the community recommend as a replacement? I have a large database sheet and it doesn't make sense to split the content into multiple sheets. The original data was in Excel and the columns were grouped and views created by Use Case.

Thanks in advance!

• jong
    jong ✭✭
    Options

This is really the basic feature for using the sheets. One of the show stopper!