Why can't you trigger workflows with linked cells?

Why can't you trigger workflows with linked cells?

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Joel,

You can!

What isn’t working for you?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Well I am just trying to set a trigger that will copy rows to another sheet.  The sheet I am creating the workflow on is all linked cells.  When I go to the primary sheet and set a cell to trigger the workflow nothing happens.  The trigger is a value, a percentage to be exact,  I have verified it is enabled and they all the requirements have been met for the trigger. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Joel Turlington

Ok. Yes, that is the exception, the cell-links doesn't work as Genevieve answered.

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ramsay Zaki
    Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is this only for Copy/Move Workflows or all workflows? I am trying to send a alert based upon the value of a linked cell. I do see that the "last Updated" date does update on the sheet (so I know the sheet is registering that there was an update to the row). But, the workflow to send the alert isn't triggering.

My workaround has been to just check for the condition every hour rather than having it run instantly when the linked cell value changes. But, that isn't an ideal workaround.

• Hi @Ramsay Zaki

Actions that will automatically modify the sheet cannot be triggered by inbound cell-links or cross-sheet formulas. This means: Approval requests, Move rows, Copy rows, Lock rows, and Unlock rows. (See the last bullet point in this Help Article.)

This means that a regular Alert workflow is able to be triggered by a linked cell. Do you receive other alerts without an issue? If you set up the same workflow with the same trigger on a different sheet, does this work? Are you receiving the notifications within Smartsheet (the bell icon), but not email notifications?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!