Multiple approval workflows

Hi - I am trying to create 3 approval workflows. Each one as a sequence of approvers and some of those approvers are the same from workflow to workflow but for different approval purposes. I have been successful in setting up the first one, but when I set up subsequent ones leveraging the same columns/approvers, I get duplicate emails for approval, almost like the approval is caught in a loop. I think it has to do with this:

If approval columns and values are re-used across workflows, you may receive duplicate alerts. To prevent this, use different approval values or add conditions after each approved or declined request.

But, I don't know how to fix it without having multiple columns for the same approver for each workflow which will make the sheet confusing. Help! I am working against a deadline and need assistance configuring these 3 workflows.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Leslie,

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sure, I have 3 types of approvals each with a desire to have a sequential approval process (each approver triggering a review by another approve once approved). Upon changing the task status column to one of the 3, it would trigger the review process.

1) Campaign approval - 4 approvers

2) Plan approval - 4 approvers (same approvers as QA approval but order of review is different)

3) QA approval - 4 approvers (same approvers as Plan approval but order of review is different)

I have tried creating 3 separate leveraging the same approval columns across each approval workflow.

I have tried one combined workflow with conditions.

What seems to happen is that it will not send sequentially rather, send the first one sequentially then after I approve it will fire 2 of them at the same time. Then, I will approve all 4 only for it to resend the 1st and 2nd approvers again. So for a 4 approval sequence, I am having to do it 6 times. That is just for approvals, I haven't even tried to build in the Decline scenarios for each Approver. I would attach screen shots, but I have abandoned this due to fear of too much troubleshooting upon release and deleted the workflow.

For now, I am leveraging a general Approval needed task status and listing each Approver on a seperate row that someone will manually trigger a release as needed. It is not as automated, but given the way we are releasing the use of this sheet, it has to be until I have time to research further.

Any insight for further experimentation would be great. Thx!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

I'd start by creating three different workflows to make it simpler to see the steps. I'd also recommend documenting all the steps visually because it's easier to see how everything is connected.

Let me know how it goes and if you need more help!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• AYNQ
    AYNQ ✭✭

@Leslie Sutula (US - IFS) Hi Leslie, I am having the same challenge with my workflow. Did you figure it out? Would love to know how you addressed it. Thanks a ton!