RFI Automation

Options

I'd like help with creating the most efficient and the most automated RFI "module" containing the least number of steps from start to finish. I'll paste a workflow here to give some insight. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Kurt,

It seems straightforward.

Will the RFI contain the contact information to both the architect and the Engineer, or will the architect add the information to the Engineer?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! 

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• kurt84911
    Options

It certainly can contain it...perhaps a button on the correspondence the architect gets from the GC says "forward to engineer" which is pre-loaded with the engineer's email address. After an engineer answers and presses "submit" it must go to the architect (in order to follow proper contract procedure). From the architect, it must then complete the journey by going to the GC.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ok.

So we would need to account for sending it to the engineer with one of the two Approval Options.

Denied = Send to Engineer

Approved = Back to GC and Approved

Note added = Back to GC for another round

Make sense?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• kurt84911
    Options

Got it...unfortunately, this is where I can see a roadblock.

I'll have to teach the architect (and all of his assistants)(on each different project) that "Denied" means to send to the engineer...not that they (architect) are denying the RFI. Which leads to the next question, how does the architect deny (or reject) and RFI if it is one that does not need to be forwarded to the engineer?

I think the lack of "editable" buttons limits here.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No, we can edit the buttons to make it clear.

• kurt84911
    Options

Great! I didn't think that option existed. Can buttons be added as well? I would be great to have as many buttons as there are options.

"Forward to Engineer" (used by architect when he must get the engineer's response)

"Approved" (this forwards to the person who sent it to you. Architect to GC / Engineer to Architect. Used to answer a question and reply with approval)

"Rejected" (this forwards to the person who sent it to you. Architect to GC / Engineer to Architect. Used to answer a question and reply with a non-approval)

"Approved with Comments" (this forwards to the person who sent it to you. Architect to GC / Engineer to Architect. Used to answer a question and reply with approval to move forward in the way described or marked up on an attachment)

Each above being tied to automation and notices when overdue....

Is this possible?

Kurt

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, you can only have two buttons in an Approval Process, but I think we can make it work. Otherwise, another option could be to start the process with an update request instead.

What do you think?

• kurt84911
    Options

Well,

I have a tool built, but I was hoping to simplify and refine it so it would be better received by non-smartsheet users...seems like we are moving very close to my current tool...Happy to share with you for some input??

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, happy to take a look.

Feel free to share it!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!