GET Pending Update Requests only

Options
Ramsay Zaki
Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a more efficient way to get all Pending Update Requests for a sheet? The only way I can figure to do it is to pull ALL Sent Update requests on a sheet (regardless of status) and then filter the array for a Status of Pending in my other application. However, my sheet has north of 1000 update requests (most of which are complete) so this seems like an extremely inefficient way. But, I do not see an API call which would allow me to pull only Pending requests.

Answers

• Harvey Mon
    Harvey Mon ✭✭✭
    Options

I suggest if you can create a Report Builder and pull out data from your main sheet and pull out only pending request.

I hope this will help you

• Ramsay Zaki
    Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, a report won't help me with triggering my application. I need to do this as part of the API.

That said, how do I create a report for Pending Requests? I don't see that as an option in the report builder anywhere. Can you show the Report Builder setup screenshot with the exact way to set it up?

• Harvey Mon
    Harvey Mon ✭✭✭
    Options

The Report Builder will still be pulling all information from your main sheet.

First go to File and click create new

then choose report

then you can save the report as pending request and you can start pulling information from your main sheet

I have attached the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SuXM4Ag4xA

2nd option is to create automation where in all pending request will give you reminder to update it

Thanks

• Ramsay Zaki
    Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry but I'm still not understanding. I'm a relatively advanced user so I am quite well versed with how to create reports. But, there is no option in the report builder to filter for only things that have a pending update waiting. Please take your example further... you stop and the report builder screen. Please show me the next steps in the report builder because I'm just not seeing how I would make the report only show rows with a Pending Update Request.

• Harvey Mon
    Harvey Mon ✭✭✭
    Options

will you be able to send me a screenshot of your sheet for me to see the pending request column or an overview of your sheet ? or if you can share it and I will do the report builder?

• Ramsay Zaki
    Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is no pending update column. I am using smartsheet's official "Update Request" feature

• Harvey Mon
    Harvey Mon ✭✭✭
    Options

do you mean, you are using the automation update request, sorry mate if I need to know more information about your process in order for me to be able to share.

thanks

• Ramsay Zaki
    Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure what more information I can provide. Smartsheet has an official update request feature. I am even using smartsheet's official name for the feature.

The request can be triggered in various ways... Using automation, manually from the row menu (click on the arrow on the left side of the arrow), or through the Smartsheet API.

When a new request is created it has a status of pending. When the user the request is sent to responds the status changes to completed.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 03/09/20
    Options

Hi Ramsay,

If you're talking about using the API, you're correct: you would first get a list of ALL update requests from that sheet and then filter by the status.

Here's the documentation for Update Requests and our API: https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/?csharp#get-all-sent-update-requests

(You can also see here for an example of how to filter results, although it sounds like you already know how to do this).