Formula to fill in cell value depending on employee

Options
jb@59069
jb@59069 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a need to have specific values populate a cell based on the Employee value entered from a form.

For example:

If Steve enters his information from the form, I need the Category cell to populate with Sales Tools.

If Jen enters her information from the form, I need the Category cell to populate with Digital Marketing.

If anyone else enters info from the form, Category cell should populate with Consulting.

I have tried IF, IF(OR, IF(OR(OR and always get UNPARSABLE error.

Please help.

Best Answer

• jb@59069
    jb@59069 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Well, this is just bizarre.

I tried several variations of both of your examples, only need to change the names. Nothing worked. Kept receiving UNPARSEABLE or INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET errors. Tried multiple times, multiple variations, changing punctuation, etc.

Deleted the formula(s) from the cells, saved the sheet, closed it, reopened, tried both your examples again, modified names, same errors.

Deleted the formulas again, saved the sheet, closed it, reopened, tried only your second example, modified names and it worked.

Yes, I double checked my work multiple times and duplicated the process exactly several times and it failed every time. Then it finally worked.

Ghost in the machine?

Thanks again Andre'e. Have a great weekend.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jerry,

Try something like this.

=IF(ISBLANK(Employee@row); ""; IF(Employee@row = "Steve"; "Sales Tools"; IF(Employee@row = "Jen"; "Digital Marketing"; "Consulting")))

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.

=IF(ISBLANK(Employee@row), "", IF(Employee@row = "Steve", "Sales Tools", IF(Employee@row = "Jen", "Digital Marketing", "Consulting")))

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma."

Did that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!