Parent % Complete should not be 0%

Hi Community,

Can anyone offer an explanation for why the parent % Complete value in the image shared is 0%, and not a rollup of the three underlying (subordinate) values? The only non-standard variable I can think of is that the subordinate values are pulled into those cells via link, but I haven't located anything in Community or Help that would explain it.

Thanks.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ken,

Make sure that you’ve activated the Dependencies and % Complete in the Project Settings. See below.

Or don't you want to use the Dependencies?

Did that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You will also want to make sure that the incoming data is an actual percentage if Andree's suggestion does not work for you.

• khankoff
    khankoff ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Andree,

I should have mentioned in my question that Dependencies were already enabled. It appears that Paul's response is the one might help. Although the % Complete was already definitely a percentage, and it's still not working.

hmmmmm. I may have to submit this to Smartsheet as "something broken". Before I do, I am going to recreate a couple of the entries in my worksheet. I've done a test, and the other subordinated entries in the sheet roll up properly to the parent, but for some reason, these three do not.

Thanks guys.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How is the source data generated/input, and how is it pulled (formula w/cross sheet reference, or direct cell link)?

• khankoff
    khankoff ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul,

Originally, I calculated the percent complete for underlying tasks using this formula (=(COUNTIF(Status2:Status12, "Complete")) / COUNT(Status2:Status12)), and the result was displayed as a %. However, after reading your suggestion, thinking it might change the outcome I created a new column with everything in it being a % Complete, and used this formula at the parent level (=AVG([% Complete]2:[% Complete]12).

I am pulling the result into my project sheet using a direct cell link.

Ken

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/04/20

@khankoff

Happy to help!

I saw that Paul answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best, 

Andrée 

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@khankoff I meant how is the data on the source sheet populated? The original data that you are pulling to this new sheet. Is it manually entered into a column formatted as a percentage, is it formula driven, other?

• khankoff
    khankoff ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul,

I ended up reaching out to Smartsheet Support for help. Spent almost an hour on the phone with a rep, and here is the text from a follow-up note he sent describing the outcome of our exchange, and efforts to ID and resolve the problem:

"...I'm glad we were able to connect earlier about the linked % Complete percentages in the Telephony hierarchy in your sheet that were not rolling up to the parent row when start dates and durations were also linked in. 

In our testing, we were able to see that removing the linked durations and manually specifying the durations ended up resolving the issue with the parent rollup for the linked percentages.

In testing this out on my end, I was able to reproduce the same behavior that we were seeing today on the phone. In my testing, I was linking % Complete percentages, Start Dates, and Durations from a sheet that did not have dependencies enabled, into the % Complete, Start Date, and Duration columns of a sheet that did have dependencies enabled, just like how you had your sheets linked together.

In thinking further about why the linked duration values were causing the issue, I believe this would actually be expected behavior. In the source sheet that the durations are listed in, the Duration column is not connected to the dependency settings, so the values (i.e. 12d, 15d, etc.) are seen as text values. When these values are linked into the Duration column on a sheet that has dependencies enabled, the duration column is recognizing these values as text, rather than recognizing them as Duration values. 

As we discussed, in order for percentages to roll up into the parent row in the % Complete column on a dependencies enabled sheet, a duration and % Complete value need to be specified on the row. If the value in the Duration column is seen as a text value rather than a Duration value, the percentages would not roll up to the parent row, which is the behavior we were seeing. 

I would suggest either re-enabling dependencies on the Telephony Implementation Tasks sheet, or manually specifying the durations in the M&A GOps Milestone Status sheet."

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/09/20

@khankoff Glad you were able to find a solution.

EDIT:

Please be sure to flag your last post as "helpful". This way the solution will be marked as the "Accepted Answer" and will move it to the top where it will be easier to find by others running into the same issue.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!