#Incorrect Argument Set"

Each of these pieces work on their own but when combined I get "Incorrect Argument Set" and I'm at a loss as to why:

=IF([Percent Complete]5 = 1, "Green", IF([Percent Complete]5 >= 0.25, "Yellow"), IF([Percent Complete]5 < 0.25, "Red"))

Best Answers

Answers

• I was able to get the following to work:

=IF([Percent Complete]6 = 1, "Green", IF([Percent Complete]6 >= 0.25, "Yellow", "Red"))

What I don't understand is WHY. This is clearly my first experience writing formulas and I'm struggling to understand the logic. Thanks in advance!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Tara,

Smartsheet looks at the numbers in a column formatted for percent (for example, a % Complete column) as values between 0 and 1.

Use decimal values (examples: 0.25 for 25%, 0.5 for 50%) to get the correct comparison, as opposed to whole numbers.

Your formula:

=

IF([Percent Complete]@row = 1, "Green", = IF it's 100% then Green

IF([Percent Complete]@row >= 0.25, "Yellow", "Red")) = IF it's 25% or more then Yellow and otherwise Red

In your formula with multiple IF functions, it will look at each part and stop looking when it's true, so it can also be important to think about the order.

I replaced the row numbers with @row, so you don't have to think about which row you're on.

Makes sense?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andrée,

Thanks for your response and explanation. It's good for me to know it stops looking when it finds something that is true. I still don't understand why the first formula I presented was generating an incorrect argument set response. Yes, the second formula I posted is perhaps written more clearly, but what is wrong with the logic around the first formula?

Thank you!

Tara

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Tara Lehner

You're more than welcome!

I saw that Jeff answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best, 

Andrée 

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @JReisman27 that was exactly what I needed. Thank you!

• Good morning,

Thank you for this resource. I've been struggling with an (vlookup) formula that is giving me the Incorrect Argument Set error. I'm not sure what is wrong. I did this last month and did have a problem.

This is my formula. I'm looking at one sheet to pull in sales to another sheet.

=VLOOKUP([Customer ID]1, {3AM - All Access Fee Revenue - for SLAs Range 3,6,false})

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is what the formula should look like...

=VLOOKUP([Customer ID]1, {3AM - All Access Fee Revenue - for SLAs Range3},6 ,false)

IF you use that does it work? You may have to delete the cross-sheet reference { } and recreate it. Let me know if it works.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!